Director of Engineering
Mailgun is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead a fast-paced, talented Engineering team. As a Director of Engineering at Mailgun, you will lead multiple engineering teams consisting of 3-6 engineers who are responsible for the design, development, and operation of their services in production. Each development team is intentionally small to streamline decision making.
As a product for developers, our engineers have a strong influence on the product roadmap. Priorities are set in a collaborative manner, taking into account our vision, feedback from both internal and external customers and the need to continue to scale a rapidly growing service. Engineering leaders at Mailgun must possess a strong product orientation and partner with the leadership team to use data to understand how customers are interacting with our service and how we can improve the overall experience.
- Guide the engineering processes to ensure projects are properly staffed to deliver high quality customer outcomes.
- Attract, develop, and retain talent across our teams. Build and maintain a talent pipeline through sourcing, screening, and coordinating interviews.
- Maintain a balance between building high-quality, scalable solutions and shipping quickly. Provide individualized coaching and mentorship to the members of your team helping them grow their influence and skills within the organization.
- Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed.
- Collaborate with leadership on the product roadmap, work with your team(s) to ensure there is a balance between feature development, scalability, and eliminating technical debt.
- Assess employee performance, address issues of under-performance and promote excellence.
- Seek out and use data to help discover and prioritize improvements within the product.
- Serve as an escalation point for complex customer issues.
- Help implement effective processes as we continue to grow our team.
- Track record of building high-performing, engaged teams that other engineers seek to be a part of.
- Experience leading globally distributed teams.
- Experience with scaled, high-throughput systems.
- Experience building teams that focus on the customer problem, instead of solely on the underlying technology.
- Proven ability to use metrics to drive decision making.
- Experience gathering requirements and formulating technical solutions.
- Experience primarily relying on leading through influence. Ability to help provide context with your team so that they have the information to make the best possible decision.
- Understands the value of engaging directly with customers, especially when it’s helpful in clarifying the problem or requirements.
- Bias for asynchronous communication and rely on meetings only when it’s the best way to coordinate and/or discuss complex issues.
- Extensive technical background and ability to ask the right questions to contribute to design discussions.
- Highly collaborative, proactive, curious, self-starter, always interested in learning.
- Clear communicator and effective problem-solver.
- Extremely well-organized.
- Works well on a small team and across departments in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously.
- 5+ years hands on engineering experience (SaaS preferred).
- 5+ years of management experience.
- Technical aptitude and curiosity for innovation.
- 4+ year Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- 5+ weeks PTO (treat yo’self)
- 8 Company holidays
- 100% Dental, Medical and Vision coverage for employee
- 50% Dental, Medical and Vision coverage for dependents
- Flexible spending accounts
- Health savings account
- Life insurance 1x annual salary